retroflex: pronounced with the tongue tip curled up and back. (See the diagram of places of articulation.) Retroflex consonants usually involve the tongue tip touching or near the palato-alveolar region (between the alveolar ridge and the palate). One way of pronouncing the English r sound is retroflex (although some speakers pronounce this letter without retroflexion, producing essentially the same sound by bunching the tongue in the back of the mouth near the uvula). See apical, place of articulation. [Spanish: retroflejo]